Losing A Pet Can Be So Hard
Your pet probably gave you some of the most unconditional loving experiences of your life. Your faithful friend was always there to greet you when you got home, always ready for a pat or to snuggle in with you.To lose such a close companion can evoke very strong and painful feelings. Normal responses to losing a pet:Feeling wrong to be so sad. People saying:
Feeling anxious, overwhelmed and thinking:
- ‘Cheer up, you can always get another pet’
- ‘It’s okay, they are in heaven now’
Feeling frustrated and saying:
- ‘How I am going to cope with my best friend gone?’
- ‘Is this sadness ever going to end?’
- ‘I’ll never get over it’.
- ‘I’ll never find as good a friend again’
- ‘I just can’t cope’
- ‘Damn it! Why did my pet get sick?’
- ‘Why did my best friend die and leave me?’
- ‘It’s just not fair’
- ‘I could have done more’
- Blaming and criticising other people.
Feeling guilty about your pet getting sick or injured or about having to put them down. Having trouble concentrating: ‘I don’t even remember how I drove from the vet to home’. Seeing your self shutting down and withdrawing.